Monday, September 14, 2009

2nd post

Memories. Some memories are good while others you don't want in your head. What is a little hard for me to understand is that most people remember more details for the bad memories than the good ones. An example for me would be that I don't remember when I road my bike by myself for the first time but I remember the time I found my mom crying with a phone up to her ear. That day she didn't even want to tell me what was going on. All I knew was that somebody in our family had died. When you deal with situations like this it sometimes makes you a stronger person. Memories like these are the most painful but they are also the ones that everyone in the world has. I don't know why I have the memories I have. I didn't get to choose them. I have a lot of good memories too but I wouldn't be able to explain them in much detail.

Why do we even have memories when we don't even get to choose what they are? I mean a lot of the times we remember are really important but I wish I could have memories of other important times in my life. Times like when I said my first word or learned to walk or lost my first tooth. Someone gave me the idea of starting a journal so when I'm older and I want to remember how my life was like at this age I can just look back in the journal and reminice. I have tried keeping a journal before but I was much younger so I didn't really commit to it. Hopefully this time it works out better.

Memories. You may hate them or you may love them but you will always have them. In my situation the answer is easy. I'm in the middle. I would love it if I could choose the memories I keep.

1 comment:

  1. First of all--way to get your homework done nice and early! Now you can start working on NEXT week's post. ;^)

    But I also wanted to say that I think your question about choosing memories is really fascinating. Why DO we remember some things and forget others? And how does that "choice" get made inside our head? Somehow, our brain does that for us (and here I go, getting geeky again). But is there any way to "control" that process, so you end up with the memories you WANT but not the ones you don't? Maybe we will someday:

    http://www.pinktentacle.com/2008/12/scientists-extract-images-directly-from-brain/

    Great post, Brenda. You've got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete