Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slavery

    Slavery. It is something that no matter how hard we try, doesn't seem to disappear. There are more slaves in the world now, than ever before. The only difference about slavery now is that it's not all out in the open like before. There are organizations around the world trying to stop slavery but it doesn't seem to help. In the TED talk we watched a while back, Kevin Bales raised a good question. I'm not sure exactly what he said but it was something like, "if we don't have the power to free slaves then are we free?". At first I was really confused by this question.
    I believe we are free in most things but not in every aspect of life. We only have certain freedoms. Of course are freedoms are limited, or else there would be no structure in the world. Some things are a little too over the top though. Before if you were born a slave then you served your whole life as a slave. Now many of the horrible people who own slaves think of the slaves as disposable. It is scary to think that a person can actually be used like that. Even though I know that this actually happens I would like to believe that it doesn't. Would that be considered naive? I don't like to hear the troubles of all the other people in the world. It's not because I don't care(because I do), it's because I think that there is nothing I can do about it. It makes me feel so sad that many people just watch as bad things happen to others. Why is it so hard to get rid of something like this.
    I know that people know that slavery is still going on, I'm pretty sure they know where it is going on too, so why can't they stop it? For slave holders it is easy money. The slaves are cheap and "disposable" so they don't even bother keeping them healthy. They don't care how long they live or if they die because they are easy to replace. You can actually replace a life? What's next? Slavery has been going on for so long now that it's probably too big of a thing that people probably think it's a waste of time to try and stop it. I know that there are people out there who are actually fighting to stop slavery but they haven't gone very far. I wonder if it is even possible to stop slavery after it has expanded to this extent. What can we do? Is there anything we can do? These questions don't seem to have answers.
    I think that to stop slavery there are going to be a lot of processes to go through. After something has been let go so far it's hard to stop it I guess. Has Slavery gained so much power? When I wake up in the morning I don't wake up thinking that I will get beat or tortured or anything like that. I wake up happy not worrying at all about what is going to happen. We lead a worry free life while as we speak thousands of people are getting beaten, people are dying, or getting tortured.When will this end?

No comments:

Post a Comment